Monday, November 10, 2014

#TYIW

I'm beginning, I am making myself move foward. My 2014-15 school goals have been staring me in the face every day. We are into the second quarter and I just keep reading them. I am ready to take control of my own professional development and move forward. What made me make this decision this morning? Is it because I have read my goals for over 100 days and not made a solid attempt? Maybe. I guess that our guidance counselor, Mr. Favinger, had a great motivational way for us to set our goals and to be held accountable.

This past summer our district was fortunate to send 17 educators to the ISTE Conference in Atlanta, Georgia. Our district’s goal was to inspire and transform the mindset of our staff through the sessions, keynotes, and networking opportunities. We expected they would bring back ideas and resources to share with other staff members in our district. Our guidance counselor, Dustin Favinger (@CHS_M-F) was “wowed” by the remarkable Adam Bellow (@adambellow) and his session where the attendees were asked to take a selfie and post to Instagram with the hashtag #TYIW (This Year I Will…).  Mr. Favinger pointed out that it is easy to set goals once and never have to revisit them and reflect on your progress. The power in this activity is he created his goals, posted and shared with staff, students, parents, and administration. He feels highly accountability. He can see it every day when he opens his office door and it is not something he can “put off”.  Posting the goals keeps them real and something he must pursue. At end of year he believes part of his evaluation discussion could be based on what goals he has accomplished. His vision is to bring staff together at the end of the year and talk about what we accomplished, what we did not (and why?), and how we will move forward.

This movement compelled me to reflect on my own professional objectives and set my own goals. I would like to share these goals with you and encourage you to keep me accountable. I also encourage you to set your own #TYIW and share with your colleagues and others. The encouragement and help of your Professional Learning Network will inspire you! As a NETA member, I am excited to have the opportunity this spring to hear Adam Bellow at our Spring NETA Conference in April. Thank you @adambellow for sharing this idea with educators!




#TYIW 
  • Begin blogging to share and reflect.
  • Develop and work on personalized PD for our staff.
  • Build stronger relationships with staff and students.
  • Bring coding to our elementary students.
  • Make more connections in my Professional Learning Network
  • Be an active Technology coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment